Who needs an ADR Certificate?

Anyone transporting dangerous goods by road in most road tankers, tank containers, in bulk and a certain amount of dangerous goods by road in in-scope packages (i.e. in receptacles over certain sizes – separate limited quantities are allocated to each product).

Attendance of a course must be carried out by approved training providers, is a legal requirement and counts as part of drivers’ hours. Each trainer is individually approved by SQA and comes from industry background.

Initial courses

A driver must attend a Department for Transport approved course and pass SQA exams to get an ADR Certificate. The number of days depends on the goods being carried and their containers.